Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Vegan Coconut Banana Bread Recipe


They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well consider this flattery for The Simple Veganista.

I love Banana Bread and have made so many by now I thought I'd hate it! But alas no.. there is still a part of me that loves a good moist piece of Banana Bread with my freshly brewed coffee in the morning. Maybe because it takes me back to when I worked at Starbucks and had those early opening shifts. That Banana Bread and hot coffee was may reward to myself for rolling out of bed so early in the morning. Oh how good it was....

This recipe was taken from said above blog and then tweaked a bit :) Enjoy!!

Level of Difficulty: Low! I had the baby on my hip the whole time, he gets to lick the spoon at the end too!
Special Equipment: A good mixer or some strong forearms  

 Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups flour of choice
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  •  1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup coconut flakes (unsweetened)
  • 1/3 cup warmed coconut oil 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup organic pure cane sugar or finely chopped dates
  • 4 small or 3 large bananas (preferably overripe), mashed 
  • 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, spice and salt in a medium/large size bowl and set aside. In a small bowl mix oil, sugar, coconut flakes and vanilla. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and mix briefly, set aside. Mash bananas, you should have approx. 1 3/4 cups, add to batter and mix until combined. Pour or spoon into a well greased loaf pan...I used coconut oil to grease mine.  Bake for about 50 min to an hour. You can also do the toothpick test in the center of the loaf, if it comes out clean it's about ready. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment